Wednesday

#170 - pushing up daisies

With the intent not to freak you out...


My house in New York boarded a very large cemetery (pictured). My friends and I used to play hide-and-go-seek in it and most every time, ended up scaring one another. It also had a gorgeous jogging path that ran around and through it that I was too young to appreciate. My mother has always been entranced by cemeteries and I too have thought them interesting, in an eerie romantic sort of way. My parents (and grandma) have done the disturbing task of selecting their plots and stones, etc. Something I don't want or like to think about. However, I remember my mother saying once, that she wanted to live her life so that the phrase she wanted on her tombstone would be true, "She was kind to everyone".
It got me thinking about what I would like on my gravestone (also came to mind after a recent visit to a father's grave with one of my close friends). Currently I've got my thumb on, "She turned her can'ts into cans and her dreams into plans".

Thoughts? Creepy? What would you have?

4 comments:

  1. Is that really "our" cemetery? Cool picture! thumbs up on the epitaph. You may enjoy this site: http://www.alsirat.com/epitaphs/

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup, it's ours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. still looking up epitaphs..
    Sacred to the memory of

    My husband

    John Barnes

    Who died January 3, 1803.

    His comely young widow, aged 23,

    has many qualifications of a good wife,

    and yearns to be comforted.

    (In a Vermont cemetery)

    ReplyDelete
  4. funny--the only time i went into the cemetery was to find rascal.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails