I'm not entirely sure as to why I didn't know this, but apparently pirates still roam the seven seas, inflicting chaos on chosen victims. I was reading Time magazine today and saw an article about how we are loosing the battle on the Indian Ocean. Last week there were six piracy attacks and they ended up capturing an American cargo ship of a crew of 20 and the pirates are holding the captain hostage. Flash images of Waterworld cross my mind as I read something like this. Someday I would love to own a boat and be seaworthy myself. Although, no matter how attractive Johnny Depp is, I still think that running into a pirate would be terrifying (and slightly thrilling).I think part of the reason why I didn't think there were still pirates, falls into the category of why I didn't think there were still Buddhist temples being constructed. I just think of them as something ancient and historical that just aren't apart of life anymore...
yeah, crazy africa is full of crazy pirates. It is an archaic thought, but instead of swashbuckling, these wield automatic weapons
ReplyDeletebut, as I'm sure you read, the ship that was just hijacked was full of U.S. citizens (the first ocean hijacking involving U.S. citizens in 200 years, by the way) and yet they regained control of the ship (minus the captain). All I have to say is 'back off the U.S.!'
oh, and I agree, an encounter with pirates would be quite unnerving