Monday

#70A - romantic and satisfying

...There is something very romantic and satisfying about wandering through a record store

Last saturday I joined the "in the know" members of our nation in celebrating Record Store Day. This is the third annual Record Store Day, celebrated the third saturday in April. Hundreds of record stores around the country participate: live concerts, music discounts, festivals, food, body and clothing painting, and dances (recognizing the music and the individuality of the record stores). I went to a few in Seattle (about 15 were participating) and got The Old Ceremony, Mason Proper, and Cut Off Your Hands for about a buck each. In Sonic Boom I saw Say Hi perform but left before Vetiver went on.

I made up for that by going to a Vetiver concert at the Crocodile. One of the opening bands was Black Whales and they were amazing. The drummer was very "Ringo-esque" and one of the guitarists had insane fingering skills. It was phenomenal - fun to sing (if I knew the words) and move to. They were fun to watch (especially the drummer) and gave a great show. Now.... the second band... there are.... no.... words. No wait, there's two: Richard Swift. This guy's voice was almost painful to hear and the "songs" seemed to never end - - it almost made me want to leave before Vetiver. I'll just let you listen for yourself, but that's one band I recommend sticking on the no thank you list. Vetiver was great; as expected, but after Richard Swift the mood was a bit dampened.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails