Tuesday

#46C - simple times

Another I could listen to over and over again is Joshua Radin. I'm not a big fan of female vocalists; I only have a handful among my hundreds of artists, and even then, I don't listen to them much. On Joshua's albums though, I always love how it sounds when he harmonizes with with his accompanying female vocalists. I'm always impressed with how their voices just complete the song. His album "We Were Here" is the epitome of Joshua Radin, just him and his guitar, with a few backups and additions that make it a perfect choice if you are looking for something calming and reassuring to listen to (like Closer, Winter, and Only You). His newest CD, Simple Times includes Joshua with a band accompanying him instead of just a solo act. It sounds good, but almost makes the power of his voice and guitar solos less impressing. I do like Sky, and I'd Rather Be With You though, they're peppier and more upbeat than a lot of his other songs. Ooh, and I like the guitar in Friend Like You. Vegetable Car just sounds awkward and out of place for him... maybe just by including the word "vegetable" in his lyrics puts me off. But of course, I'll stick the simple EP, Unclear Sky. The Fear You Won't Fall has woven itself into my blood, along with Lovely Tonight. If you are giving him a first listen, I would suggest putting off his newest album until later on, after you have gotten to know him a little bit better (and it'd be safe to skip the vegetable/diesel track).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails