Whatever the reason and whatever the relationship these two had, I thought Little Ant's devotion should be recognized and supported. I took numerous pictures, all of which did not come out (Little Ant was too tiny), and finally helped the only way I knew how. I put these two on a piece of paper and carried them outside to the driveway so Little Ant could find an appropriate burial ground. Upon paper-release, they got separated. Little Ant, confused and lost, wandered in circles for a while before finally finding a course and headed, alone, friendless, loveless to the safety of the grass.
Fast forward to this morning. I was wiping up the remains of hundreds of more ants when again, crossing the sink counter was another noble wanderer, carrying the lifeless body of a fallen friend. I quickly called Sami down to look at this amazing feat, when she then proceeded to tell me that they do that all the time and he's just carrying the dead ant back to the house so they can eat him. EAT HIM! I was appalled! Can this be true?! He's not a noble or respectful hero at all?! He's a bloodthirsty cannibal!? And to think, I was led astray... lied to by Little Ant! I was encouraging him to EAT his less than lucky fellow ant. I was so disturbed -- I killed that cannibal carrier and with more force and hatred than I had all the rest.
If this is true: that ants carry and eat their fallen friends, then I want nothing to do with them ever again and now take much more pleasure in their utter destruction! Horrid little creatures...
It's wonderful to see what a complete education you are getting/have gotten these past 4 years!
ReplyDelete