Friday

#120 - 40 gigs of disappointment

I made my very first Craigslist purchase today. I've been in the market for a new ipod since White One couldn't handle my capacity for music. I found one one being sold for 50% off - new and in great condition. We met on campus and made the exchange. It was an amazing deal; the kind that is impossible to pass up. I'm selling White One to Sami and now am very happy and content with New Black One. As a bonus, he left all his music and videos on the ipod (50 gigs worth). I only have 40 gigs, so this was a substantial increase. I was expecting most of it to be garbage, but surprisingly, a lot of our bands and music interests were the same. I was so excited and told him so in a purchase-follow-up-text. Having most people respond to his music choices with weird, confused faces, he was pleased that he had sold his ipod and music to a well deserving candidate. I combined his music with mine which took quite some time - followed by the slow and laborious job of going through and deleting duplicate songs. This turned out to be about every 5th song and took about an hour to get through "A" "B" and half of "C" titled songs. I was working my way though, steady and focused, when all of a sudden I tipped my computer weird and the ipod disconnected. When I plugged it back in, an error appeared on my screen that read, "Error in reading summary. Please restore ipod to factory settings. This will erase all.... bla bla bla..." Moral of the story - gone. All gone.

Sad and back to my normal music load, I am sitting in my car so that I can get Internet to "restore to factory settings". The part that makes me feel worse is that the whole time I was deleting duplicates, I was complaining at how long it was taking, and how my body was getting hot from having a laptop sit on it for so long. I was complaining how this guy had 6 copies of the exact same song... why? I was ungrateful for my bounty (which included a purchased copy of the new Star Trek movie... gone.) and because of my ingratitude... it was taken from me; suddenly and devastatingly. My music list, which I was just earlier today so satisfied with, now feels vacant. Where did all my new "the Who" albums go? Gone with the error...

So be grateful, All! For goodness sake, be grateful...
You know, maybe it's better this way. I didn't fight for that music, I didn't search for that music, I didn't anxiously await that music, I hadn't even listened to that music yet. It was not mine to lose... So goodbye Not-Mines. It was nice to have you, if only for a little while.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails