Thursday

#87 - i gotta know

I was led astray in the 5th grade, Mrs. Molhar's class. We were doing a science project to see how soda erodes bone and teeth. During our experiments, my teacher was telling us the history of soda, "When coca-cola was originally made, it was green." Very a-matter-of-fact. From that moment on, I knew, when coca-cola was first made, it was green. 11 years later (two or so months ago) I was in a diner with a friend and I educated him on the origins of coca-cola, reiterating what my 5th grade teacher had told me. He didn't believe me!? My cited 10 year old sources were not good enough for him, evidently. Putting good money on this belief I had, we went home and researched it. Although it is a common myth, it is a myth just the same. I couldn't believe it! What else have I been led astray about? That flipped the skeptical switch. That, and watching myth busters has opened my eyes to a lot of misconceptions. Today, I got an email telling me that this August, Mars would be as big as the moon and how this wouldn't happen again for another 30,000 years or something incredible like that. Now encased in skeptical wisdom, I looked it up on reliable scientific websites before marking my calendar and telling all my friends. Sadly, another myth. The truth is out there, it's just tough to distinguish sometimes.

So.... Rachel.... is it true what you told me when I was 5?? Pee is stored in your calf?? And Mom... drinking liquid green jello has miracle medicinal powers??

2 comments:

  1. Dear little one, I will bestow on you one thing I have learned...the ONE true source you can trust wholly and inequitably, is that of imparted knowledge endowed upon you by an older sibling. And since I AM your older sibling, you must therefore believe that statement as well. I too innocently believed from an older sibling that Tapioca podding is made from fish eggs, the powdered chocolate pudding mix is tiny dead ants, and that when it rains it seeps into the earth and comes out into a secret underground world of little people under the ground full of rainbows.

    Apparently Jason has fallen victim to this as a child as well, and learned this same lesson. He now NEVER believes anything unless he has looked up accurate and reliable sources for the information, himself...that is why I hate debating with him, he doesn't even take the knowledge of my college professors at face value, and makes me cite what sources they received their information.

    This, however, is great for me, because I can rely completely on his knowledge as FACT as he will not pass on any information (or email forward) unless he has checked it against several reputable sources. Plus he does all my dirty work of telling me whether or not the information I receive is lagit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silly Name line...that was not Jason talking, that was ME! It is tricky to remember to change the name posting every time. This computer likes to try and trick people.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails