Never thinking this was a big deal, I never did it. Growing up, I remember my mom always assigning that to be our job after she went grocery shopping: wash all the vegetables and fruits. My own fresh-things-washing has consisted of rubbing an apple on my clothes before eating it and then just eating every thing else. But EW! something happened today... on my most recent grocery shopping excursion, I purchased fresh fruits and vegetables; among them was perfect looking grapes. And of course, when I got home, I picked a few off and ate them. No big deal. Then, today I took more out and was snacking on the vine, absent mindedly, while on my computer. I looked down to grab another grape from my already half eaten cluster, and there was a HUGE cobweb! Gross! My insides felt all... contaminated and infested. I immediately washed each individual grape and put them in a bowl, mumbling to myself over and over again "wash your grapes, wash your grapes, wash your grapes... ew ew ew". So in case you don't already - wash your fruits and vegetables, not only to prevent the consumption of webs and bugs, but dirt, bacteria and chemical residues that hang out on them too! They may look clean... but they are not.
Wednesday
#83 - webbyapes
Never thinking this was a big deal, I never did it. Growing up, I remember my mom always assigning that to be our job after she went grocery shopping: wash all the vegetables and fruits. My own fresh-things-washing has consisted of rubbing an apple on my clothes before eating it and then just eating every thing else. But EW! something happened today... on my most recent grocery shopping excursion, I purchased fresh fruits and vegetables; among them was perfect looking grapes. And of course, when I got home, I picked a few off and ate them. No big deal. Then, today I took more out and was snacking on the vine, absent mindedly, while on my computer. I looked down to grab another grape from my already half eaten cluster, and there was a HUGE cobweb! Gross! My insides felt all... contaminated and infested. I immediately washed each individual grape and put them in a bowl, mumbling to myself over and over again "wash your grapes, wash your grapes, wash your grapes... ew ew ew". So in case you don't already - wash your fruits and vegetables, not only to prevent the consumption of webs and bugs, but dirt, bacteria and chemical residues that hang out on them too! They may look clean... but they are not.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The reason they are not all spic and span clean when you buy them is that as soon as you wash them, they start to go bad faster. That is why it is best to was as you go, so they last longer but still are not disturbingly covered in ewww. Once my grapes had a worm on them...a little squishy green one. I too had already started my consumption. There are some things in life you just have to learn by trail and error, making your mistakes and failing. For that is the only way it can be burned into your brain, through a traumatic life experience. To illustrate I will bestow a joke upon you...What is worse then an apple with a worm in it? An apple with half a worm in it.
ReplyDelete